Tuesday, November 02, 2010

NaFiShMo

So it's November already and I'm not sure what happened to October. Many folks are doing the NaNoWriMo thing. I can barely write a blog post now and then so a novel is a bit beyond me.

Several knitters I know are participating in NaKniSweMO. Technically, I could knit a sweater in a month. But that would mean starting yet another sweater. And I haven't dug out all my knitting projects to double check but I believe I have at least four sweaters in progress at the moment. I thought about what I have in the works and I think there's well over a dozen unfinished knitted items in my house. (It might actually be closer to two dozen.) Heck, just two weeks ago, I cast on three new items...none of which are yet completed.

So with that in mind, I've decided to create my own slogan for the month. NaFiShMo. National Finishing Shit Month. The rules are simple.

1. You may not start any new items. (Second socks, gloves, etc are okay as long as the first one has already been cast on.

2. You must finish as many works in progress as possible before the end of the month.

And that is it. I will concede a special dispensation for casting on something new if it is for a knitting class.

So over the next month, I plan to dig out all of my unfinished items and document them. My Ravelry profile shows that I only have five but all that proves is I am a damn dirty liar. Hmmm...I may have to add a third rule.

3. All unfinished items must be documented, either in your Ravelry queue, your blog, Flickr account, actual physical notebook. Whatever, just make sure you know what you need to work on and have a list of it somewhere.

With that being said, what I've been working on the past few days are the Skew socks from Knitty.com. They are knit on the bias and have a very interesting heel.

One skew sock completed so far

I've finished the first one and have started the second. I had to rip back a bit last night but I'm sure I'll be back on track in no time.

So look for the rest of my WIPs to be documented soon and if you aren't knitting a sweater or writing a novel this month...then why not join me in finishing what you can this month?

1 comment:

Christine said...

What a great idea! NaFiShMo. I love it! Also am still jealous of your amazing craft room with DOORS!